Friday, December 29, 2006

Heaven=Books

I was planning to write the typical year-end column - a backward-looking, wistful, mushy, learn-from-my-mistakes type of piece. But frankly, everyone does it and I generally skip reading them myself, so I'll save you the trouble.
My dear family gave me what I really wanted for Christmas - a stack of books. I have dug in eagerly to the first in the stack - the updated Freakonomics By Steven Levitt and Stephen J Dubner. I just finished an econ class (my last semester of graduate school - woo-hoo!), so I jumped right in expecting...I don't know what I expected. But what I have found are well-written stories, weaving together elements of regression analysis, urban myth, parenting lore and sumo wrestling into a study of micro-economics. Very interesting and written in Dubner's voice, which I learned to love in his soul-searching (and God-searching) book, Turbulent Souls.
Other books in the haul include Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts (of NPR fame), The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman, and Life Happens by Cleveland area Pulitzer Prize winner Connie Schultz. Life is good.
What are you reading (or intending to read)? I'm looking forward to the latest Martha Grimes book - I know it's out already, but I just haven't had time. Soon, very soon. 2007 looks like a good year for reading for pleasure, as opposed to my recent readings for school or work. Glad to be here, now, surrounded by opportunity to grow and learn, love and laugh.

No comments: