Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Smiling even though I'm wearing (ugh) pink

First, you have to understand that I don't like to fund raise. For years, I have done only the minimum for the charities I otherwise support, either on my own or through my husband's employment. But then along comes a cause that I didn't know I wanted to support.

Second, understand that I don't like pink. Yet I have two pink blouses and a pink skirt in my closet - and that's another essay topic. I won't buy anything that professes to support the Komen Race for the Cure ONLY because these things tend to be pink. I will donate, but don't try to make me wear or display pink. Glad to have that off my chest.

That said, I find myself campaigning to raise a substantial amount of money for breast cancer education, treatment and research. My website is pink. My collateral materials are pink. And in August, when I camp amid hundreds of others in between long, hot, sweaty days of distance walking, my tent will be pink. Blechh

Why am I doing it if I dislike pink so much? Because my friend, Lois, died of breast cancer five years ago. Because my friend Joyce is fighting breast cancer now. Because another friend's mom is dying of breast cancer. Because 200,000 women (and men) will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, and 40,000 will die. Because I don't want me, or any of my family members, to become a victim.

The Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk brings together thousands of men and women across the country. Each day, for three days, they walk about 20 miles - 60 miles total - raising money and awareness of the dreaded disease, making friends, and healing hearts. Veteran walkers tell me the miles pass quickly and (almost) effortlessly as they chat and hug and laugh and cry together. Boy, I hope so!

I have thrown my lot in with these sturdy women and men. On August 22, 23 and 24, I will earn my blisters and (maybe) work off a pound or two. I hope I will make new friends, and I hope my walking and talking will keep Lois' memory alive.

If you are moved to help, please click the Donate button in the 3-Day photo at the top right of this blog. And please think kindly of me in August. I can use all the help I can get!

No comments: